::Nova Scotia House of Assembly
The Nova Scotia Legislature, consisting of the lieutenant governor (sometimes referred to as the governor) and the House of Assembly,<ref>Constitution Act, 1867, ss. 69, 71 & 88; Nova Scotia Legislature</ref> is the legislative branch of the provincial government of Nova Scotia, Canada. The assembly is the oldest in Canada, having first sat in 1758,<ref>How Canadians Govern Themselves</ref> and in 1848 was the site of the first responsible government in a colony of the British Empire.
Originally (in 1758), the legislature consisted of the governor (later a lieutenant governor), the appointed Nova Scotia Council (upper chamber) (which met in the Red Chamber, now used for committee meetings and social functions) and the elected House of Assembly (lower chamber). The council had both executive and legislative functions. In 1838, the council was replaced by an executive council with the executive function and a legislative council with the upper chamber legislative function. In 1928, the legislative council was abolished.
There are 51 Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) representing 51 electoral districts. Members nearly always represent one of the three main political parties of the province, the Progressive Conservative Party of Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia Liberal Party, and Nova Scotia New Democratic Party.
The assembly meets in Province House. Located in Halifax Province House is a National Historic Site and Canada's oldest and smallest legislative building. It opened on February 11, 1819. The building was also the original home to the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia, and the location of the "Freedom of the Press" trial of Joseph Howe. Its main entrance is found on Hollis Street in Halifax.
Nova Scotia House of Assembly sections
Intro Party standings Committees Seating plan See also References External links
|PREVIOUS: Intro||NEXT: Party standings|