History::De Hoop, Culemborg

::concepts

Which::sails    Convert::built    Dutch::category    Tower::storeys    Hoop''::mills    Title::language

History There was a mill on the site in the 16th century, and possibly earlier. It was a post mill. It and the mill outside the Lekpoort were mills where the inhabitants were compelled to have their grain ground. Both mills belonged to the Count of Culemborg. In 1689, the mill was rebuilt for ƒ750. The mill was shown on a 1749 map of the City and County off Culemborg. A horse powered oil mill had been built on the site in 1757. It was demolished c. 1833; a potato factory was built on the site in that year. There was a failure of the potato harvest in 1845 and the factory is not mentioned after 1848. In 1853, permission was granted for the erection of a windmill on the site.<ref name=First>{{#invoke:citation/CS1|citation |CitationClass=web }} (click on the internal link to access webpage)</ref>

De Hoop was built in 1854. The cap and sails were removed c. 1910 and thereafter it was worked by steam engine. The mill tower was later stripped of its machinery. In the 1960s, the mill was the clubhouse of the Culemborg Harley-Davidson Club. Circa 1980, the empty mill tower was purchased by the Gemeente Culemborg. Restoration was carried out in stages, culminating in the mill returning to working order in 1993. Machinery from De Oranjemolen, Lewedorp, Zeeland was incorporated, and a new windshaft was cast.<ref name=Data>{{#invoke:citation/CS1|citation |CitationClass=web }}</ref> That mill had been demolished c. 1990, with parts also going to assist the restoration of Leonardus, Maastricht, Limburg.<ref name=Oranjemolen>{{#invoke:citation/CS1|citation |CitationClass=web }}</ref> De Hoop is listed as a Rijksmonument, № 451862.<ref name=Data/>


De Hoop, Culemborg sections
Intro  History  Description  Public access  References  

History
PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Description
<<>>