::British Cape Colony

::concepts

Redirect::

{{#invoke:Hatnote|hatnote}} {{ safesubst:#invoke:Unsubst||$N=Use dmy dates |date=__DATE__ |$B= }} {{ safesubst:#invoke:Unsubst||$N=EngvarB |date=__DATE__ |$B= }}

="3" class="fn org summary" style="text-align:center; line-height:1.2em; font-size:115%; font-weight:bold;" Kaap de Goede Hoop{{#invoke:Category handler|main}} ="3" style="vertical-align:middle; text-align:center; font-size:115%;"British colony ="3" style="vertical-align:top; text-align:center; font-size:95%;" Anthem
God Save the King (1795-1837; 1901-1910)
God Save the Queen (1837-1901) ="3" style="text-align:center; font-size:95%; padding:0.6em 0em 0.6em 0em;"
The Cape of Good Hope c. 1890
with Griqualand East and Griqualand West annexed
and Stellaland/Goshen (in light red) claimed


="2" Capital ="width:50%;" Cape Town


="2" Languages English, Dutch (official¹)
Khoekhoe, Xhosa also spoken

="2" Religion Dutch Reformed Church, Anglican, San religion

="2" King/Queen || - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;" •  ="padding-left:0;text-align:left;" 1795–1820 George III - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1820–1830 George IV - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1830–1837 William IV - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1837–1901 Victoria - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1901–1910 Edward VII - class="mergedrow" - class="mergedrow" - class="mergedrow" - class="mergedrow" ="2" Governor - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;" • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1797–1798|| George Macartney - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1901–1910 ="2" Prime Minister - class="mergedrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;" • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1872–1878 John Charles Molteno - class="mergedbottomrow" ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  • ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;"1908–1910 ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;" • ||style="padding-left:0em;text-align:left;"Dutch colony ="vertical-align: bottom;"1803–1806 ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;" • ||style="padding-left:0em;text-align:left;"Anglo-Dutch treaty ="vertical-align: bottom;"1814 ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;" • ||style="padding-left:0em;text-align:left;"Natal incorporated ="vertical-align: bottom;"1844 ="3" Area - class="mergedrow" style="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  •  ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;" 1822<ref name="WilmotChase1869">{{#invoke:citation/CS1|citation ="3" Population ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  •  ="padding-left:0;text-align:left;" 1822<ref name="WilmotChase1869">{{#invoke:citation/CS1|citation ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  •  ="padding-left:0;text-align:left;" 1865 census<ref name=census1865>{{#invoke:citation/CS1|citation ="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  •  ="padding-left:0;text-align:left;" 1910 est. 2,564,965  - class="mergedbottomrow" ="2" {{#invoke:String|rep| |5}}Density ="white-space:nowrap;" 4.5 /km²  (11.7 /sq mi) ="2" CurrencyPound sterling ="2" Today part of ²
="3" ¹ Dutch was the sole official language until 1806, when the British officially replaced Dutch with English. Dutch was reincluded as a second official language in 1882.
² Penguin Islands and Walvis Bay
Cape of Good Hope

 

1795–1910
 

- class="mergedtoprow" ="3" class="maptable" { style="width:100%; text-align:center; margin:0 auto; background:none;" - ="text-align:center;border:0; vertical-align:middle;" ="text-align:center;border:0; vertical-align:middle;" - style="font-size:95%;" style="border:0; text-align:center;" Flag style="border:0; text-align:center;" Coat of arms }

Government Constitutional monarchy
Walter Hely-Hutchinson

- class="mergedrow"

- class="mergedrow"

- class="mergedrow"

John X. Merriman

- class="mergedbottomrow"

- class="mergedbottomrow"

- class="mergedbottomrow"

- class="mergedbottomrow"

Historical era Scramble for Africa
 •  Established 1795
 •  Disestablished 1910
CitationClass=book

}}</ref>

     331,900 km² (128,147 sq mi)
  - class="mergedrow"
  
  - class="mergedbottomrow"
   style="width:1.0em; padding:0 0 0 0.6em;"  •  ||style="padding-left:0;text-align:left;" 1910
        569,020 km² (219,700 sq mi)
  - class="mergedbottomrow"
  
  - class="mergedbottomrow"
CitationClass=book

}}</ref> est.

  110,380 
 - class="mergedrow"
 ="2" {{#invoke:String|rep| |5}}Density
   ="white-space:nowrap;" 0.3 /km²  (0.9 /sq mi)
CitationClass=web

}}</ref> est.

  496,381 
 - class="mergedrow"

The Cape of Good Hope, colloquially also known as the Cape Colony (), was a British colony in present-day South Africa and Namibia, named for the Cape of Good Hope. The British colony was preceded by an earlier Dutch colony of the same name, the Kaap de Goede Hoop, established in 1652 by the Dutch East India Company. The Dutch lost the colony to Britain following the 1795 Battle of Muizenberg, but had it returned following the 1802 Peace of Amiens. It was re-occupied by the British following the Battle of Blaauwberg in 1806, and British possession affirmed with the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1814.

The Cape of Good Hope then remained in the British Empire, becoming self-governing in 1872, and uniting with three other colonies to form the Union of South Africa in 1910. It then was renamed the Cape of Good Hope Province.<ref>Statemans Year Book, 1920, section on Cape Province</ref> South Africa became fully independent in 1931 by the Statute of Westminster. Following the 1994 creation of the present-day South African provinces, the Cape of Good Hope Province was partitioned into the Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, and Western Cape, with smaller parts in North West province.

The Cape of Good Hope was coextensive with the later Cape of Good Hope Province, stretching from the Atlantic coast inland and eastward along the southern coast, constituting about half of modern South Africa: the final eastern boundary, after several wars against the Xhosa, stood at the Fish River. In the north, the Orange River, also known as the Gariep River, served as the boundary for some time, although some land between the river and the southern boundary of Botswana was later added to it. From 1878, the colony also included the enclave of Walvis Bay and the Penguin Islands, both in what is now Namibia.


British Cape Colony sections
Intro  

PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Intro
<<>>