Actions

::1903 Petrol Electric Autocar

::concepts

Engine::trust    Autocar::north    Which::railway    Dynamo::british    Project::autocar    Coach::awarded

{{ safesubst:#invoke:Unsubst||$N=Use dmy dates |date=__DATE__ |$B= }} {{ safesubst:#invoke:Unsubst||$N=Use British English |date=__DATE__ |$B= }}

Autocar at Filey Station

1903 Petrol Electric Autocar. In 1903 the North Eastern Railway built two experimental railcars at their carriage works in York. These were powered by petrol engines which generated electricity for two traction motors which were mounted on the bogie underneath. This means of powering a railway vehicle was pioneering and would eventually be developed into the diesel-electric technology that powered and powers many locomotives worldwide. The railcars were numbered 3170 and 3171 and were 53.5 feet long and weighed around 35 tons. The engine was mounted in an engine compartment 13.25 feet long. The rest of the vehicles' length was taken up by a vestibule, driving compartment and a 52-seat passenger compartment.


1903 Petrol Electric Autocar sections
Intro  Powertrain  Service   Preservation   Modelling the autocar  See also  References  Further reading  External links  

PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Powertrain
<<>>