Actions

::18th Guards Motor Rifle Division

::concepts



{{ safesubst:#invoke:Unsubst||$N=Refimprove |date=__DATE__ |$B= {{#invoke:Message box|ambox}} }} {{#invoke:Infobox|infobox}} The 18th Guards Motor Rifle Division was formed originally as 133rd Rifle Division at Novosibirsk or Biysk<ref>Poirer and Conner</ref> in 1939. The division was part of 1st Shock Army on 1 December 1941 during the Battle of Moscow. It was redesignated as the 18th Guards Rifle Division in March 1942 with the 51, 53, 58 Guards Rifle Regiments and 52 Guards Artillery Regiment. The division fought in the East Prussian Offensive. The unit became 30th Guards Mechanised Division in 1945 as part of the 11th Guards Army. In 1965 it was renumbered as 18th Guards MRD. It seems to have been stationed in the Kaliningrad enclave with 11th Guards Army before entering Czechoslovakia in 1968, joining the Central Group of Forces.

In 1991 the Division was withdrawn back to Gusev in the Kaliningrad Oblast. The Division is now at cadre strength, as part of the third-line reserves of the Russian Ground Forces. However, there is one Russian chat-forum report that the Division has been reorganised as 79th Separate Motor Rifle Brigade<ref>http://www.soldat.ru/forum/frame.html?gb=3&page=56&id=26462&referer_query=gb%3D3%26page%3D56 , August 2006</ref> (Russian: 79-я отдельная гвардейская мотострелковая бригада{{#invoke:Category handler|main}}). As the 280th Guards MR Regiment was the last reported unit in the area, in 2002, the 79th Brigade may have inherited its awards and honorific names.


18th Guards Motor Rifle Division sections
Intro  Structure (1990s)  Sources  External links  

PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Structure (1990s)
<<>>

Guards::rifle    Division::motor    Regiment::soviet    Category::forces    Russian::ground    Union::prussian

{{ safesubst:#invoke:Unsubst||$N=Refimprove |date=__DATE__ |$B= {{#invoke:Message box|ambox}} }} {{#invoke:Infobox|infobox}} The 18th Guards Motor Rifle Division was formed originally as 133rd Rifle Division at Novosibirsk or Biysk<ref>Poirer and Conner</ref> in 1939. The division was part of 1st Shock Army on 1 December 1941 during the Battle of Moscow. It was redesignated as the 18th Guards Rifle Division in March 1942 with the 51, 53, 58 Guards Rifle Regiments and 52 Guards Artillery Regiment. The division fought in the East Prussian Offensive. The unit became 30th Guards Mechanised Division in 1945 as part of the 11th Guards Army. In 1965 it was renumbered as 18th Guards MRD. It seems to have been stationed in the Kaliningrad enclave with 11th Guards Army before entering Czechoslovakia in 1968, joining the Central Group of Forces.

In 1991 the Division was withdrawn back to Gusev in the Kaliningrad Oblast. The Division is now at cadre strength, as part of the third-line reserves of the Russian Ground Forces. However, there is one Russian chat-forum report that the Division has been reorganised as 79th Separate Motor Rifle Brigade<ref>http://www.soldat.ru/forum/frame.html?gb=3&page=56&id=26462&referer_query=gb%3D3%26page%3D56 , August 2006</ref> (Russian: 79-я отдельная гвардейская мотострелковая бригада{{#invoke:Category handler|main}}). As the 280th Guards MR Regiment was the last reported unit in the area, in 2002, the 79th Brigade may have inherited its awards and honorific names.


18th Guards Motor Rifle Division sections
Intro  Structure (1990s)  Sources  External links  

PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Structure (1990s)
<<>>