Actions

::North Pacific Coast Railroad

::concepts



{{#invoke:Infobox|infobox}}

The North Pacific Coast Railroad (NPC) was a common carrier {{#invoke:Track gauge|main}} narrow gauge steam railroad begun in 1874 and sold in 1902 to new owners who renamed it the North Shore Railroad (California) (NSR) and which rebuilt the southern section into a standard gauge electric railway.

The NPC operated in the northern California counties of Marin and Sonoma that carried redwood lumber, local dairy and agricultural products, express and passengers. The NPC operated almost {{safesubst:#invoke:convert|convert}} of track that extended from a pier at Sausalito (which connected the line via ferry to San Francisco) and operated northwest to Duncans Mills and Cazadero (also known as Ingrams). The NPC became the North Shore Railroad (California) (NSR) on March 7, 1902. In 1907 the North Shore Railroad became part of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad (NWP). Southern portions of the line were standard gauged and electrified by the North Shore for suburban passenger service, though tracks north of Point Reyes Station remained {{#invoke:Track gauge|main}} narrow gauge until abandonment in the late 1930s.

All of the NPC trackage has been abandoned either by the NPC or the NWP. Some of the original right of way can be seen at the Samuel P. Taylor State Park near Fairfax, along the shore of Tomales Bay and Keyes Estuary and passenger depots remain in San Anselmo, Duncans Mills and Point Reyes Station. One NPC steam locomotive, No.12 the "Sonoma," remains as a restored static exhibit in its circa 1870s appearance at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, while Duncans Mills hosts some decaying cars that are not being restored.

North Pacific Coast Railroad tunnel near Keys Creek

North Pacific Coast Railroad sections
Intro  Route  Locomotives  Electrification  Roster of electric cars  References  Notes  External links  

PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Route
<<>>

Works::railroad    Category::pacific    Gauge::north    Baldwin::became    Milepost::county    Shore::coast

{{#invoke:Infobox|infobox}}

The North Pacific Coast Railroad (NPC) was a common carrier {{#invoke:Track gauge|main}} narrow gauge steam railroad begun in 1874 and sold in 1902 to new owners who renamed it the North Shore Railroad (California) (NSR) and which rebuilt the southern section into a standard gauge electric railway.

The NPC operated in the northern California counties of Marin and Sonoma that carried redwood lumber, local dairy and agricultural products, express and passengers. The NPC operated almost {{safesubst:#invoke:convert|convert}} of track that extended from a pier at Sausalito (which connected the line via ferry to San Francisco) and operated northwest to Duncans Mills and Cazadero (also known as Ingrams). The NPC became the North Shore Railroad (California) (NSR) on March 7, 1902. In 1907 the North Shore Railroad became part of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad (NWP). Southern portions of the line were standard gauged and electrified by the North Shore for suburban passenger service, though tracks north of Point Reyes Station remained {{#invoke:Track gauge|main}} narrow gauge until abandonment in the late 1930s.

All of the NPC trackage has been abandoned either by the NPC or the NWP. Some of the original right of way can be seen at the Samuel P. Taylor State Park near Fairfax, along the shore of Tomales Bay and Keyes Estuary and passenger depots remain in San Anselmo, Duncans Mills and Point Reyes Station. One NPC steam locomotive, No.12 the "Sonoma," remains as a restored static exhibit in its circa 1870s appearance at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, while Duncans Mills hosts some decaying cars that are not being restored.

North Pacific Coast Railroad tunnel near Keys Creek

North Pacific Coast Railroad sections
Intro  Route  Locomotives  Electrification  Roster of electric cars  References  Notes  External links  

PREVIOUS: IntroNEXT: Route
<<>>